Game Plan
Game Plan
O.K. I'll admit it. I'm a list sort of gal. If you come to my house now, you'll find several lists. List of places I want to visit. List of fun things to do with the kids. List of things needed organized. List (detailed) of all the work needed to change both kids to an upstairs bedroom to get ready for the next two. List of things to do this summer. List of things to do before our sweeties from Vietnam arrive home. List of things to work on with Wyatt. The listing characteristic goes hand in hand with being a planner. I love to plan things. For the 5 years I taught school, lesson planning was one of the many things I loved about being a teacher. I love to plan weddings, vacations, and parties.
Well, being a planner and adopting isn't a peanut butter and jelly sandwich sort of thing. Those two just don't go together. (By the way, I should buy stock in P&J. Currently, it's Wyatt's choice food.) You can plan certain aspects to a point. You plan when you call the social worker. Then you wait for them to call to begin your home study. Basically, you don't plan. You just wait. Waiting and being a planner also don't go together. So, I'm feeling a bit like a fish out of water/ a planner not being able to plan.
I've decided to at least make a simple list. Making lists is comforting. Since I am in the major waiting game of the 171H approval, I need a little comfort. I actually have several lists on this subject, but posting it here makes it more official.
(By the way, for all that read my previous post on not being patient and don't know me very well, I'll just add an addedum to that. I'm actually a very patient person, EXCEPT for adoption related waiting. Just thought I should clear that up.)
Back to this Official List. This list will actually be the game plan, the blue prints, the instructions, the "on your mark, get set, GO" sort of list for when the fabulous day arrives. The morning when I open the mail box and our 171H is nestled among all the junk mail.
Matt thinks I'm crazy. He is definitely not a list sort of guy. In fact, I've rarely ever left him a list. Well, I may leave a list but not tell him it's his list. I certainly would never write,
"Matt's List" at the top of a paper. Even though I talk about the "game plan", I'm not sure if he is really listening. I'll give him credit. He is probably listening, but not remembering. For example, our home study arrived in the mail this past Saturday. I yell out to the building as I'm walking into the house and told him our hs arrived. Couple of hours later he notices the packet on the kitchen counter and says, "This isn't the 7H thing, is it?" I calmly inform, "No honey, you will definitely be able to tell when the 171H arrives." "Oh, I thought so."
Here it is:
1. Make all copies and prepare all statements for the dossier paperwork.
(check, I did this today!)
2. Matt and Sarah, 6 passport style photos each
AFTER the 171H arrives:
(Day one)
3. Medical statement to Matt's doctor for a signature (6 copies needed)
4. Medical statement to Sarah's doctor for a signature (6 copies needed)
5. Matt's employer letter, signed & dated (6 copies needed)
6. Go to county sheriff's office for local police report (6 copies each) (I called and we can do this
24 hours a day.)
7. Make several copies of 171H with notary statement
8. Take all of our dossier paperwork(all 78 documents) and meet with our notary
(Day two)
9. Take paperwork to county court house for county certification
10. While at the court house also get our marriage license
11. Take all paperwork to Columbus for state certification
12. Make two copies for our complete dossier
13. OVERNIGHT-- Mail VORF one notarized copy of our dossier. Mail VORF a county/ state certified set that will go the the San Francisco Consulate for authenication and then on to Vietnam for translation. (Actually two of each, since we are requesting two children)
14. Keep two sets of dossier, county and state certified. We will carry this with us to Vietnam
15. With the overnight package- check for dossier & notarized copy of our full homestudy
I feel much better now. Oh, no! I just realized that I'm on jury duty for 3 months, starting in August. I hope sitting in court won't interrupt my game plan! I'll be an anxious, unhappy juror.


3 Comments:
I *completely* get this. I am such the list person too. I make pre-lists for my lists, so they aren't cluttered with unncessary items. I have lists of things to pack, websites of interest, books I've read and to be read, things to do for the week, day, hour, a.m., etc. I am working on being more patient so I can finish the to-do's on my lists. I would like to say, oh it's an adoption thing, but I have found lists I made in grade school. It seems to be a visual representation of accomplishments.
Oh, I am a teacher too and I still love planning lessons. :o)
I am SUCH a list kind of girl as well. It just makes life easier. I hope that your list goes as planned once the I171-H arrives. I was able to get our dossier together in no time as well. I hope your approval comes very very soon.
Ok, so I am not the list type (I only misplace them), but I really appreciate you list gals!
I know I am going to need this list and I know where to find it! Thanks Sarah!!!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home