Ellayna's 2nd Gotcha Day Anniversary!
Two years ago today was one of the best days of my life! Ellayna flew home to us!! Our agency only does escorting for their Korean program. So, an airport pickup was a must. Ellayna actually landed in Chicago first and went through customs there. We were instructed to pick up our "little package" in baggage at the Detroit airport. We, along with my parents, were the first family out of 3 to arrive at the airport. That's not a surprise for those that know me. We even arrived before the greeter! I'm the one who actually greeted the other two families.
We had waited exactly 3 months and 1 week from seeing Ellayna's referral picture until Gotcha Day. She came home at 5 months and 1 week old, wearing a white two-piece comfortable outfit. Two gentlemen escorted 3 babies all the way from Korea. These were dads who had adopted years ago, and whose families and wives volunteer for my agency.
Two planes came in at once, so it ended up being quite packed in the baggage area. Plus, I believe a lot of people on Ellayna's flight ended up staying to see the babies united with their families. The babies came down the escalator, being held be the escorts. I caught my first glimpse of her and tried hard not to completely loose it. I didn't want her to be frightened by a sobbing stranger. We were the only Ohio family there. So, the escorts first called out, "The Ohio family." There were so many people in our way that it took a minute to make our way through the crowd. He handed our sweet little precious baby girl to me. She was beautiful, and she looked up at me and smiled, at that very moment Wyatt, smiling, held by Daddy put his hand on the top of her head. That moment was captured in a photograph. I love that picture of the four of us.
That airport room was packed with people, but in the moments when I first held Ellayna I saw nothing else and heard nothing else. Our family was incased in this imaginary circle. The outside of the circle had swirling colors and muffled sounds, but it was distant. Even though it was a very public place, the moment was very private.
Literally, I thank God every day for both of by kids. I feel blessed beyond measurement. I'm so looking forward to the moment when I first hold my next children. Maybe, they'll be crying and scared, but it will still be amazing.
Today, we will have a little celebration as a family, the day that 3 became 4!


4 Comments:
Congratulations!!!! What a beautiful memory, thank you so much for sharing!
That is so sweet! Happy Gotcha Day!
Beautiful story! Celebrate with your little sweetie!
What a miracle adoption is. An increbible journey, but so worth it in the end. I am still waiting for my prvince to open up adoption with Vietnam and have been in a bit of a funk lately as I have been waiting for this since March....Patience is being developed. Best wishes!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home