Path to our Vietnamese Sweeties

Follow us as we find the path to our children who are half way around the world. The road is unknown and undoubtedly full of curves, but God holds the map. He is who we will follow. "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Get Away





The last time Matt and I went away on a vacation, just the two of us, was three years ago. So we planned an extended weekend and made the trek to the upper penisula of Michigan to Pictured Rock National Lakeshore on Lake Superior. It was beautiful and the weather cool. Many hiking trails with several waterfalls and the boat ride is a must in order to see the rocks. Here are a few pictures.

First picture: Flower vase
Second picture: Speed boat in the water gives perspective to the height of the cliffs
Third picture: Sample of the many colors on the cliffs and the beautiful color of the water. The water color in places reminded me of the Caribbean.
Last picture: Miner's Castle, taken from shore.

I wish I could show the pictures in their true form. I have to crop and size down the files in order to down load them. My real pictures are very crisp and clear.

We spent our time relaxing, hiking, and taking in the spectacular views. We ate white fish several times which is caught fresh in Lake Superior. I actually think that white fish is just as good as lobster or shrimp, maybe even better. One day we stopped by the local fisherman and bought a smoked white fish for our lunch that we ate in the park. We also tried a pastie. I had no idea what this was, but once you turn off that 5 mile bridge into the UP the signs are every where for a pastie. Pronounced with a short a sound rather than the long a sound which would be those little bitty things Las Vegas Dancers wear! Turns out the miners ate pasties over 100 years ago. Basically, it's a self contained pot pie which the miners could hold in one hand and eat. They are quite tasty. We brought some smoked fish and frozen pasties and Mackinaw fugde home for the kids to try.

The only bad thing about our short get away was missing the kids. I knew I would miss them, but this time was worse. The looming trip to Vietnam just reinforced how horrible it will be to be gone from them for so long. I'm really looking forward to seeing and experiencing Vietnam and holding & kissing our new little ones, but on the other hand dreading just as much as anticipating it. I've been gone from the kids for a week before. This last time was 3 full days. The idea of not seeing them for 3 weeks is torturous. I hope and pray that it ends up being only 2 weeks. Luckily, they are used to being at my parents and we have tons of relatives who will shower them with attention while we're gone.

2 Comments:

At 7:02 AM , Blogger Kelly said...

What a beautiful place that you got to visit. I am glad that you had a nice getaway.

 
At 12:31 PM , Blogger jenn said...

Wow, your pictures are great...makes me think of vacationing in the Carribean. Glad all went well and you enjoyed yourselves.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home