Path to our Vietnamese Sweeties

Follow us as we find the path to our children who are half way around the world. The road is unknown and undoubtedly full of curves, but God holds the map. He is who we will follow. "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

Thursday, August 17, 2006

NOT easy

NOT easy
I'm not sure if I can explain this clearly, but the bottom line is that adoption is NOT easy. I get the question from the general public every so often: "Isn't it really hard to adopt?"

I'm never quite sure how to answer this. It certainly isn't a yes or no or short explanation. The answer to that question is complicated and has so many different layers. Usually, I end up saying something about, "Yes, there is a lot of paper work, but it's not really difficult to complete, mostly time consuming. The worst part is the wait and the unknown."

We're officially waiting for our referrals now. I'm really fine with that. It's not that I'm whining for a quick referral. I can wait just fine, if I now that all will work out in the end. If we were just requesting one child, I wouldn't be worried. Requesting two and wanting to travel at the same time for both children is a tricky endeavor. Why is this difficult? Our agency must find children for referrals around the same time so the Vietnam government can process the paperwork in similar time frame, so that we can travel only once. Traveling once is a must, a necessity. We simply could not afford two trips to Vietnam. (Sigh)

Some of you are wondering why it is a huge problem to find two children. This is also difficult to explain. First of all, many orphanages have several different agencies they work with, not only the US but other countries, too. Secondly, agencies are going to work with the orphanages that know how to process the paperwork and so on. Plus, to set up a working relationship with another orphanage is a timely process. Thirdly, Vietnam seems to be really popular right now. Some of the major countries that people adopt from are weird right now. Korean government has cut down on passports and are issuing them extremely slow. Several agencies here in the US have closed their Korean programs. Other agencies are giving no guarantees on time estimates. China which was really fast just a year ago, has slowed down considerably. I've heard the wait for referral can be 12 mo to even 2yrs!!! I still haven't heard an explanation for this. Russia's two head honchos seem to be duking it out which is causing problems and delays and agencies who have worked there for 20 years not getting relicensed. Guatemala has a rumor that it will close down for awhile in 2007. Pretty scary to have a referral and the program close down. That's happened to many people before from several different countries, including Vietnams last shut down. Can you imagine getting a referral, a picture of your baby, and waiting for 2 years before you can bring her home? I've talked to people who have walked that difficult path.

So, that's is my worry. We need to find our kiddos before our 6 month expiration is up. I'm really hoping this doesn't go down to the wire, because I'll probably end up with ulcers and Christmas won't be much fun.

This whole post comes down to a request. I have a specific prayer request. I know that I have some prayer warriors reading this blog, so please pray. Pray that our agency is successful at establishing a relationship with other orphanages. This has been in the works for several months. If we are going to find our toddler boy, I'm afraid that these orphanages need to open up to VORF.
Thanks so much for your prayers.

2 Comments:

At 12:10 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

I can definitely add that to my daily prayers!! God has a plan for the babies that are supposed to be yours. I hope that they come to you soon.

 
At 1:34 PM , Blogger Jena said...

I'm from dec2005dtv yahoo group.
I will pray.

http://isaiah45.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home