Path to our Vietnamese Sweeties

Follow us as we find the path to our children who are half way around the world. The road is unknown and undoubtedly full of curves, but God holds the map. He is who we will follow. "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Paper Pregnant

Paper Pregnant

As of today August 8th at 9:20 am, at the arrival of our dossiers to VORF, we are paper pregnant. Yesterday, I accomplished the final steps of the dossier. The day started at 8:15 am when we left the house and ended at 8:45pm when we returned. Fortunately, the dossier didn't take all of that time. Mom and the kids went with me, and we made a day of it.

1. 8:30 pm Stopped at my doctor's office for him to sign my medical papers. He was on vacation the end of last week, so I had to wait till bright and early Monday morning. The Nazi receptionist gave me a hard time even after I explained that this important adoption paper arrived on Friday and I'd be driving to the capital and overnighting everything and that I didn't just wait to the last minute because everything is time sensitive and I had everything typed out just needed it copied on letterhead and the doctors signature and I had my physical already back in June for our home study. (Breathe) She said the best she could do was have it by afternoon! (Disbelief and determination written all over my face) I wouldn't be able to make it to Columbus for state certification by then. I remained calm however, expecting resistance from her to begin with. I told her my husband's doctors office (which is in the same parking lot) did this in 5 minutes on Friday. Only then she gave in a little and acted like she'd try, "but the doctor wasn't in yet." I didn't mind waiting. I know they are busy, busy. Waiting till the afternoon just couldn't happen! Didn't this lady know that I was supposed to be paper pregnant by tomorrow?! Well, I had already ran out to the car to tell my mom who was sitting with the kids what was going on. Guess who was in the parking lot talking to my husband's doctor? My doctor. Of course, as the doctor finished his conversation and was walking to his office, my mom sprang from the car. Basically, he said "Of course, I can sign the papers." I knew the problem wouldn't be with him. This doctor really is a kind, caring person, who has always been our family doctor.

2. 9:00am- Stopped at notary for notary of my medical papers
3. Stopped at court house to have those 4 papers county certified (I didn't have to have the other 52 papers county certified because an attorney notarized the others on the weekend. THANKFULLY!!!!! This was an enormous help and time saver.)
4. 9:30am- On our way to downtown Columbus for state certification, about an
1 hr 30 min away.
5. 12:30pm- Completion!! Everything State Certified!!! This step was actually easy in theory. After spending the morning in the car, Ellayna was a wild woman when she broke free. I mean wild, wild. We had to wait quite awhile in a very small space which was in a small hallway because all the doors are locked by password. Not a lot of room to run and bounce. Unfortunately, this didn't stop Ellayna, who is 2, from running, bouncing, rolling on the ground, climbing on everything, tearing everything out of our purses, squealing happily. I'm sure the ladies behind the glass windows were thinking, 'This lady doesn't need TWO more kids!'
I wanted to gently knock on the bullet proof glass and whisper through the little speaking holes that she usually isn't quite like this, that this behavior really is the extreme. Thankfully, mom took both kids down to the lobby for chips and pop. After I was finished, I needed a large space to get all the documents in order. The snack shop in the lobby was full. Instead, I used a very low table in the lobby surrounded by 4 chairs. I sat on the floor and dug in. It didn't take that long, because the night before I pulled out two dossiers that just had to be notarized for VORF's two sets. Then I just had to deal with 4 sets. As part of my preparation I made four title pages on my computer: Dossier for Child #1, Ready for Authenication / Dossier for Child #2, State Certified for Parents, and so on. I'm sure people wondered what kind of papers I was organizing. Mom took pictures outside of the kids and I to put in the scrapbook.
6. Ate at Quaker State and Lube: yummy wings!
7. Shopped at Old Navy. I got quite a few bargains for next year, many for .97!! I shop a lot at garage sales, but still try to hit the bargain racks at the change of seasons for some deals.
8. Deal of the day from World Market - a Vietnamese lamp that I've had my eye on but didn't think I'd ever own. Lucky day, 50% off. This is going in the nursery.
9. Stopped at Stables for supplies to mail the dossiers and asked for the nearest post office. Our luck just up the road.
10. Stopped at the very busy post office. Am I glad that I don't live in a busy city like Columbus. I think people must spend half of the day waiting.
11. Snack stop for the kids
12. State Park for Wyatt's surprise. He hates to go to town. I promised something fun. The kids had a blast playing in the sand and water. I was so hot that I did dip into the water for awhile, until the fish nipping at my ankles became too annoying.
13. Pizza for supper
14.8:45 pm Home!!!! (and very tired)

Now that we are paper pregnant, I'm wondering when our ultrasound(translation=referrals)
will be? I think the 'adoption ultrasound' is fantastic. You get a color photo of your baby! For us that'll be times two. I guess you could say we are doubly pregnant.

3 Comments:

At 10:14 PM , Blogger Nicole - Raising Animals said...

YAYAYAYAY!

 
At 11:00 PM , Blogger Melanie said...

OMG, this is such exciting news. I'm exhausted just reading about your day. You should be proud of your accomplishment. Your GRAND accomplishment. Congrats on your paper pregnancy. :)))))

 
At 6:39 AM , Blogger Ange said...

Congratulations! I'm sure it feels great to be one step closer!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home