Mekong Delta Trip
Today is Saturday:
I am so in awe of this country and the people. The people work so incrediable hard for so little, but are happy.
We are so lucky to have Joanne with us for our trip. She is the perfect hostess. Today she took Matt, Debra, Viet, and I to the Mekong Delta. We could have booked this through the hotel and went on a bus. Joanne took care of everything. We had our own van, driver, own boat and tour guide. I enjoyed the ride there just as much as the River. I never get tired of looking. I think a person could spend a whole day in just one city block looking. So many things going on. Saigon is a busy city.
It took around 1 1/2 hr drive to the Mekong. We boarded a narrow long boat for a ride down the Mekong. We saw all times of different boats hauling rice bales, watermelons, sand. There were floating fish farms on the sides of the river. Next we landed on an island. A wide variety of things to see here. It was a mixture of a market and showing different talents of the people and fruits of the island. We tried many different fruits. Some we've had already. Matt is going to miss the fruit the most when we go home. We have never experienced sweeter fruit. One fruit Joanne told us about yesterday. She said it smells like a skunk, but people who eat it become addicted to it. Well, while trying all this fruit she asks if we want to try. I just witnessed a group of Japanese devouring this fruit like it was the best thing they've ever had. So, I said yes. What a mistake. Matt and Debra spit theirs out. I swallowed my one bit, and Viet was smart enough to not take any. Our tour guide was laughing. This fruit is the most expensive fruit to eat in Vietnam. Joanne had the remainer packed up for the tour guide to have. We watched how they make coconut candy. I bought several packages for home. We watched a beautiful show of two 10 yr old girls in their Ao Dai dancing and singing folktales while a group played instruments. The last part was taking a ride on a canoe/ boat. It sat very low in the water. A women crouched on the front of the boat and a man on the back, both using long flat paddles. We manuevered our way through the swampy jungle. There was probably not more than 4 ft from side to side, with the vegetation tangled overtop our heads. Matt and I both thought of American boys fighting in places just like that. For us, it was beautiful, but in a time of war it'd be frightening. Matt and I had our own boat and the rest came in the next boat. I did buy some items made from coconuts on this island, bowls, candy, a beautiful shiny turtle. I also about two musical instruments and a CD of the singing. Items are so cheap, it's just a matter of getting it all home with the luggage weight limit.
I guess there was more to the trip, but we had run out of time. Once in the van, Joanne passed out Vietnamese sandwiches and dessert. The sandwiches were like a pastery with meat on the inside, obviously influenced by the French. I really like all of the food here. I have not tried anything that I seriously dislike, accept for the skunk fruit. ( I don't know the correct name. This is just how Joanne described it)
Our day was not over. After the 1 1/2 hr back to HCMC, Joanne took us for an hour long massage. This place is not far from the hotel. All the workers are blind. The cost is $5 for an hour massage. The worker gets $1 cut from that. How sad is that? Joanned picked up the bill of course, but told us to tip them $3. It was an experience, but felt wonderful. Joanne got us girls all set up. I'm glad that she was there. The lady started on me and I thought I'd come up off the table in pain. Joanne came and asked and told the lady to go more gentle. Matt wasn't too thrilled about this idea, but just went along with it. A little guy came and took him to a different area. More like out the side door, down a little alley up a dark staircase, all the time holding Matt's hand. My husband is 6'4". This person is about he size of a small 7th grader back home. I guess he was small but mighty. Matt said he was flogged by this little man. I'll let Matt tell more about his experience when we get home. After we got back to the room, he told his version. I have NEVER laughed harder in my life. I was crying and rolling on the bed. It thought a vessel in my head would pop from the laughing.
Joanne said she'd take us back again, probably on Monday. Needless to say Matt won't be going. He said that was one long hour.
The babies did fine with the sitters. These ladies now exactly what to do. I watch them and think that I could learn some tricks from them. They brought our laudry this morning also. We had a big bag and it only cost us $6. Everything, even Matt's jeans were pressed. These people work so hard for every dollar.
Tomorrow during the day, we'll just hang out here playing with the babies. We need to take a nap when they do. Being out and about is fun, but definetley sensor overload. We're exhausted by 7pm. By the way it gets dark here 6-6:30pm. Seems so odd. We're about ready for bed by this time, but seem to wake up around 4am. I guess we're keeping hours like the locals. In the evening tomorrow Joannes is taking everyone, including the babies out to eat. Not sure where, but I'm sure it'll be a fun experience. Joanne flys back on Tuesday to Danang, Ho Ain, Que Son to do some work in the orphanages. She'll meet us up in Hanoi later next week.
We've been able to talk with everyone at home the last few mornings using Skype video conference. As long as you download the free software and have internet accesse, a person can communicate for free. It is so nice to talk and see the kids. Of course, everyone enjoys seeing the babies, too. We did get bad news this morning. Our black lab that we had for 10 years was killed on the road. Going on the road wasn't a habit for her and if she did she ususally looked. We both shed tears and is still hard to believe. She was a good dog and was completely attached to me.


9 Comments:
Glad you're enjoying the trip. Sorry to hear about your dog :(
I am so sad to hear about your dog! What a terrible thing to happen. I know that was tough for the kids too. I am so thankful that you and the babies are having a good time. It sounds like you are making some great memories. I am praying for you all.
That is so sad about your dog. I hope the kids are doing okay with it. A family pet is the net closest thing to another person in your house.
I enjoy your updates, it all sounds so wonderful!
Sarah,
I'm glad all seems to be going well over in Vietnam but I'm so sorry to hear about your dog.
Jennifer
I am so so sorry about your dog. That is awful. I am glad that the trip is going so well though. I love all of the details.
I am so impressed with the way you are being pampered and shown around. This is really good.
How agonizing to lose your poor dog when you are so far away.
I can't wait for the next installment from your Vietnam adventure!
Linda
Awww Sarah....I'm so sorry about your dog. How sad :(
I'm so happy to hear you are able to tour around to see VN and it sounds like you are enjoying every bit of it!
Sarah, sorry to hear about your doggy, I have BTDT. Glad to see such great pictures of you and your little family over there. You look like you are having fun. I am sorry that I did not get the pictures, I know you are busy and it is not fun trying to please everyone. If you get time, please try to send them again. I am sorry also that I was so mixed up yesterday, I tried to email Susan because I only glanced at your email that said you sent the pics and thought it said Susan, Not Sarah. Oh, Well, we were excited that we got the call too and will be leaving for Vietnam in 10 days.
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I lost a pet just after returning from a vacation last year. My kids and I still miss him terribly. I'm so sorry. On the upside, your babies must be the most beautiful ones in Vietnam! Take care.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home