Path to our Vietnamese Sweeties

Follow us as we find the path to our children who are half way around the world. The road is unknown and undoubtedly full of curves, but God holds the map. He is who we will follow. "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

G&R


I finally have time to update everyone. We had our G&R’s yesterday. Kyna and Eastin our forever ours! I’ll break this post up in sections as it will be long.

Arrived: We arrived in HCMC on Sunday at 1:30pm VN time. This is 12:30 in the morning on Sunday in Ohio. Remember we left home at 11 am Friday Ohio time. This was a lot of travel. I slept 6-8 hours of broken sleep total for two nights worth of needed sleep. We arrive at Quoc takes us to a hotel close by to shower and change. We had two hours. Then we board an in-country flight at 7:30pm to Danang. The flight was 1 hr long. I kept falling asleep. By the time we got to Sandy Beach, had a meeting with Quoc, prepared all our stuff for the next day, it was 11:30pm. We finally got to sleep. I was up at 4:00am and went for a swim. We left the hotel at 6am on Monday.

Que Son: After driving 1 ½ hr we arrived at Que Son where Kyna was. I’ll have to post more about our drive there. It was absolutely fascinating. I keep thinking of you all at home and wish you could be seeing all that I do. I could just ride around all day looking. Vietnam is fascinating. There were around 7-8 babies there. It is a very tiny orphanage. When I walked into the small room, lying on the nanny’s bed was Lily Ana (Susan’s blog is “From God’s Arms”) and Kyna. They were getting ready to take off her little cloth that they use for a diaper and put a real diaper on. Well, I dove right in and did it myself. Her thighs are huge. We were at Que Son about 45 min. Spent time taking pics and videos of our own and of the other babies. Some grade school children arrived, peeking through the window. We took out one of the huge Hershey bars I brought for gifts and gave it to them. (I brought 10 lbs of chocolate). Soon later a few more kids showed up. The word must have spread. I was disappointed that I forgot the bag of Hershey Kisses I brought back at the hotel. The nannies clearly love these babies. They were all smiles for us, but the next second crying although they were trying not to. We then drove to our G&R at Tam Ky which is about 1 1/2hr away. Two of the nannies came with us in the van and took care of the babies. We let them as it would soon be time for them to say goodbye. The one nanny started sobbing during the drive. My heart broke for them. They cared for Lily Ana and Kyna for nearly the last 6 months. The G&R was held in a believe like City Hall. The officials clearly care for these babies. In fact, Vietnamese people love babies and children. Everywhere we go, people are watching and oowing over the babies. After, Kyna’s G&R we drove an hour back to our hotel. We had two hours until leaving for Eastin’s G&R. We showered and rested and played with Kyna.

Danang: We left the resort at 3pm for the Danang Red Cross Orphanage. When we arrived it was all a whirl wind. We only had 15 min before having to leave for the G&R.
During that time Matt was holding Kyna and video taping. I was talking to the 3 volunteers that arrived at the same time we did. Two were from Australia and one from Britian. They stop in to help care for the babies. I gave Eastin’s outfit to the nanny. I spoke to some of the babies. The one Australian took some pics with my camera. When I entered the room the sight was so overwhelming. This was a tiny room lined all the way around with cribs, but most of the babies were all lying on the floor matt, all together. The matt was probably 6 x 6 and there were 8-9 babies lying there. Eastin was right in front of the nanny. I think they were waiting for us. I spoke to him and broke out in huge grin. Next, we drove to the G&R. Jolee also had her G&R, look at “Traveling to Jolee.” Her mom Joan spent an hour at the orphanage earlier in the day when we were at Kyna’s G&R. I’m planning on getting some of her pictures.

We finally arrived back at the hotel, went up to the room and started to give them a sink bath. We got a phone call and they wanted all of us in the lobby for a meeting. So, we hurried and put their jammies on. Binh held a meeting to tell all the familes the schedule. Originally, we were staying at the Sandy Beach until Thurs night. Well, it was changed to Tuesday night, which was the very next day. I was disappointed. We were at a beautiful resort and not going to have time to enjoy it. However, I was more concerned with travel the very next day after all we went through. We literally landed and the race began. I knew though going into this that you have to roll with the punches. Actually it was a very good thing we got our passport interview at the US gov office on Wed. The holiday “Indepedance Day” shuts everything down Thurs-Mon. We were lucky to get an appointment for Wed. So this met we had to fly out Tuesday night. Monday night was our first night with the babies, each one was up 3 different times. I think they’d wake and not know were they were at.

I’ll give a shorten version of the rest as I am tired beyond words.
Left Sandy Beach at 8pm Tuesday for a 11pm flight from Danang to HCMC. Well, our flight was delayed 45 min. We fly by ourselves, as Quoc came the day before to get our appointments set. Binh had to stay for some other paperwork. We arrived at the airport 1:30am. Finally, got to the hotel at 2:30 in the morning. The kids slept on the flight at least. We got the babies fed and settled and into bed, worked at getting our stuff ready for tomorrow. At 3:30am we laid down to sleep and Eastin started crying. It was on and off continuously. Needless to say, I didn’t even go to sleep until 5:50am and was up with Kyna at 7:30 am. At 11am we left the hotel. Today (Wed) we had our gov appt, took passport pics and had medical exam. We arrived back at the hotel at 3:45pm. This is no lunch, no time to buy supplies since our flight in the early morning. It is horrid hot here, much hotter than Danang. We sat outside waiting for the medical exam most of the time.
All went well, but all 4 of us are EXHAUSTED. Since leaving Ohio on Friday , we have had very little sleep. Not to complain, cause we are happy as can be, but the last I ate was breakfast, underneath my eyes are sore and swollen from wiping the sweat away and we have drank very little today. Trying to save the water for the babies’ bottles. Matt is out now trying to buy more water with Quoc. Hopefully, we can eat soon and get some rest.

We are here in HCMC at the Windsor Hotel probably until next Friday. We have to pay for internet service so not sure how much we will send out.

Yeah, Matt just arrived with WATER, FORMULA, and a phone card. I’m so happy. The babies are going through one small can of formula a day. Hopefully, I can call home now by using the head phones on the computer/ internet. This is an inexpensive way. I can’t wait to talk to Wyatt and Ellayna.


I’ve worked at this post the last few days as time allowed. The next post I want to write about the babies. We have learned so much about their personalities already, but now in the next few days more will come out. They have done remarkable well with all that has happened in a few short days. We are looking forward to a few days of rest and simply just playing with the babies. Then we’ll venture out and see some of HCMC. Well, I’m not proofing this post, just to tired.

We do love Vietnam and want to write about some of what we’ve seen already.
I’ll try to post a picture of the babies at the G&R. We are so in love with them and feel so blessed.

I do want to say that my back is still doing OK. I know that all of your “thoughts” are helping us. There is no way we could’ve endured the last few days physical and mentally without. I am so thankful. I know we are being cared for.

11 Comments:

At 9:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a whirlwind! Congrats on getting your little ones! They are so adorable.

 
At 9:09 AM , Blogger KelleyO said...

Amazing! I am so happy for you! Thank you for the update!

 
At 9:11 AM , Blogger Sherri said...

I am so excited to hear from you. Kyna has grown so much. Those Que Son girls a healthy. And Eastin has a smile that melts my heart; what a charmer. Hope you are able to get some sleep and talk to the angels at home. Everthing is moving right along, hope it continues and you can come home early!

 
At 9:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are absolutely gorgeous - I'm so happy for all of you! I really hope you get some rest in the next few days - I can't believe what a whirlwind your trip has been. Thanks so much for taking the time to do such a wonderful detailed update when I know you're so exhausted - it means ever so much to those of us waiting!

 
At 9:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow....such fun to read all your details. You must be beyond exhausted!!! Your schedule was PACKED for those 2 days!! I'm amazed you're even able to post at all...as busy as you have been and with as little sleep as you've gotten! I hope you get several days to just chill out and rest.....not that the chilling part is even possible in hcmc! hee hee

Your babies! They are precious! Both look so healthy and happy and content. I can't wait to hear more about them and see more pictures. :)

 
At 11:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord He is good! The children are adorable, can't wait to see them in person, I know this is a crazy time, but enjoy, you'll soon be home and then reality hits. safe travels
Deb Heydinger

 
At 11:42 AM , Blogger jenn said...

It is good to finally hear from you! THings will slow down a bit down, that will help I am sure. Hopefully catching an appointment before the holiday will speed your trip up or the very least not slow it down as ours was.
I am hoping we can get together sometime when the dust settles, the babies are adorable. Betting your older two are itching to see the babies now!

 
At 12:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww - thanks for all the details. You probably have no idea how many of us are hanging on every word!!! Your babies are just absolutely beautiful! What a gorgeous picture! Can't wait to see more. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF! You guys can not afford to get sick. DRINK WATER!!! Ok, don't being a mama-bear :-)

 
At 1:22 PM , Blogger LaLa said...

They are beautiful!!! Congrats and enjoy your time in HCMC.

 
At 2:25 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

Oh Sarah, they are too precious!! I can't believe how big Kyna is!! I love that our Que Son girls are chunks! I am so happy for you and thank you so much for the details. We look forward to hearing much more, but get some rest!

 
At 2:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a gorgeous pair! Congrats to you guys. I hope you get some sleep soon!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home