Path to our Vietnamese Sweeties

Follow us as we find the path to our children who are half way around the world. The road is unknown and undoubtedly full of curves, but God holds the map. He is who we will follow. "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

10 years and Noddles and Pho

Last week was our 10 year wedding anniversary. Matt always said we'd go back to Nova Scotia for our 10 year anniversary. Well, little did we know Vietnam would be our 10 year trip. I miss Vietnam, all of Vietnam. So as our date this last weekend, we made the drive to Columbus to eat at a Vietnamese Restaurant. My mouth was watering just thinking about it. I took the cooler knowing we wouldn't be able to eat all of the food I was craving. The restaurant is called Halong Bay, and it is across for Polaris Mall for those in the area. We ordered fresh spring rolls. We choose a kind called Bo tai chanh rolls-- a rare tender eye-round beef marinated lime-pinapple and vegetables. Also, as an appitizer, Matt ordered a crispy rice cup --- chopped chicken, shrimp, carrot, onion, mushroom, bell pepper, sesame crispy rice cup. This could have been a meal in itself. We didn't know when we ordered this that we had the crispy rice cracker type things in Vietnam. At that time we ate them with a different dish. Of course, I had to order bowl of Pho. Just like in Vietnam, the bowl was huge. I ate this for two meals later on at home. I ordered a noddle dish, House grilled noodles- grilled marinated beef, pork, and shirmp, eggrolls, mixed vegetables, served with room temperature noodles. I loved this dish. The marinate was so good and the crispy chopped up eggrolls tossed on top was perfect. Matt ordered a chicken dish that came with sticky rice. It was good too, but give me the noodles. I wish we lived closer to Columbus. I could become a regular at Ha Long Bay.

We also found an Asian SuperMarket on Bethel Road. I had my Vietnamese and Korean cookbook in hand. Luckily, this cookbook has pictures of the items needed. I spent a long time in this store and could have spent a lot longer. The prices were very reasonable. I mostly bought staple items. Things that are used in a variety of dishes. Now I need to pick a recipe and practice. I know I have alot to learn. I did think of an idea. Wondered if I could work a few Saturdays at Ha Long Bay for free in turn learning how to cook a few Vietnamese dishes. Maybe, I'll pursue this in a few months. The owner did take down our e-mail address when he learned we adopted from Vietnam. My goal is to learn how to make several dishes by the time the kids know what's going on. That way they won't remember all the practice cooking!

10 Comments:

At 1:05 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oooh - this post made my mouth water...sounds absolutely delicious! I miss Vietnam and Vietnamese food too although we've been eating VN food out a lot more since Amy's come home. Good luck with mastering some cooking...so far I haven't done too well but I'm a lousy cook in general!

 
At 7:31 AM , Blogger ypp said...

I love spring-rolls, especially with the sauce.

If you like some of the Vietnamese dishes, you have to see this blog (and also read the comments):

http://mmm-yoso.typepad.com/mmmyoso/vietnamese_restaurants/index.html

 
At 5:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been to the market on Bethel (I went to OSU). Now, I'm totally in the mood to go up to Cleveland and eat at Minh Anh. I miss VN, too.

Congrats on your anniversary.

 
At 9:02 AM , Blogger Jen said...

I love your idea of working at the restaurant to learn to prepare VN dishes! What a great idea!

My mom told a gentleman from VN in her home town that we are adopting and he was so very excited--I think it's just awesome how people will share their culture and take interest in your little ones.

 
At 4:55 PM , Blogger Ann said...

you're making me soo hungry. When you get it all figured out you'll have to cyper mail us all some

 
At 4:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah,



I hope you are the right one. I know that you got two sweeties from Vietnam and I need to ask you a question. Knowing what you know now, would you get two together so close? Matt and I have the opportunity to get another little girl from Vietnam who is only 4 months old, 4 mo younger than Micaela. This is really a shocker to us, we had no idea we could get another one so soon and were not expecting a call. We wonder how this will affect Micaela and her attachment to us. We are doing great with her, she is growing like a little weed and doing well with the attachment so far. Our Social worker is amazed how well she was doing. But I know she is young and really will have other issues later, but I am torn. I really would not mind getting this little one, as long as we are raising Micaela, I would like her and her sister so close. I wish we could have gotten two like you did, but it was not in the cards at the time.



I was just wondering if you could give me some insight on raising two so close in age. I have only considered twins a couple of times, but I realize that with us having full time jobs and one baby, we are challenged on occasion, but with two babies, we would really have our hands full. But I think it would be a nice change.

Karen & Matt Wagner

 
At 7:05 PM , Blogger Susan said...

Happy anniversary, Sarah and Matt. Congratulations on 10 years of marital bliss! I really miss you guys and hope you're all doing well.

 
At 3:52 PM , Blogger Charity said...

Awesome!

 
At 5:11 PM , Blogger Mia's Mommy said...

Happy aniversary, late (sorry!). I've caught up on your blog. The kids seem to be doing great. I really wish that we had a Vietnamese resturant as good as Ha Long is. I really enjoyed eating there when I came up your way back in May.

 
At 8:25 PM , Blogger Leslie & Shaune said...

goodness, my mouth is watering reading your post. i LOVE Vietnamese and Asian cuisine... my favourite.
You have me craving it now ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home