Path to our Vietnamese Sweeties

Follow us as we find the path to our children who are half way around the world. The road is unknown and undoubtedly full of curves, but God holds the map. He is who we will follow. "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Looking Ahead

I'm back. No we weren't in Vietnam. I had a relapse with my back and have been taking extra good care. That means not sitting at the computer. So along with being behind with my blog, I'm behind on reading everyone's blogs, too.

We have been busy getting everything ready for travel. I actually have stuff in suitcases. Well, not permanently. I just wanted to see how everything fit. I think we have it down to one carry-on suitcase and one check-on suitcase for all of the babies' and our stuff. Then we have one suitcase with clothes and toys for 3 different orphanages. I hope that we can stop somewhere in Vietnam before going to the orphanage so I can buy some over the counter medication that the orphanage may need.

I have heard nothing official myself about travel. What I have heard is from others who will be travel with us. First end of March seemed to be a guess and yesterday the guess was April. Who knows?? I will be so glad to finally get a date. I'm a planner and this not knowing is getting stressful.

Plus, April is full of important dates. We have Easter, a cousin's wedding, and Ellayna's birthday. I have a feeling that we will be missing the first two. I love Resurrection Sunday. It will be so odd to not be in church with the rest of my family. I'm hoping that we can find a church in Vietnam to attend. I know that there are Bible believing churches in Vietnam. I happened to speak with a missionary that was giving a presentation at a local school the day I was substituting at. They are now missionaries in Cambodia, but for years worked in Vietnam. Churches are established, but it may be a challenge finding one. I have read about the Notre Dame Cathedral in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon). The cathedral is closed to visitors except during Sunday services, which are held in Vietnamese and English. This may be an interesting experience. I don't know if we will be in HCMC over a Sunday. We are not Catholic, but from historical perspective it'd be worth checking out. The cathedral was constructed between 1877 and 1883 using bricks from Marseilles and stained-glass windows from Chartres.

3 Comments:

At 5:18 PM , Blogger jenn said...

Not as easy as you would think to find a church. There are the few big, historic ones...but keep in mind every word spoken there has to be pre-approved by the government. For Christmas, we ended up going out to dinner with a few other Christian families who understood the significance and celebrated Christ's birth. It turned out being an event of laughter and tears as we all dearly missed our children at home, but also tears of joy for the children we held and the reason we gathered. An evening I hope I never forget!

 
At 11:44 PM , Blogger Jess and Paul said...

Nice to see you are back...I would love to know if you find a good church to go to while in Vietnam. We would love to meet up with some missionaries if there are any in the area. I hear you on being a planner...hopefully you will get some REAL travel dates soon!!!

 
At 11:11 AM , Blogger kristinemanlove said...

Hi,
This is my first time posting a comment but I do normally lurk - I am also in the process of adopting from Vietnam. I saw you had some concerns about Catholic Churches in Vietnam. I just wanted to say no worries. I went through my Foder's See It- Vietnam and it says there are over 6 million catholics in Vietnam- Evangelical Christianity is less tolerated. In Hanoi there is St. Joseph's Cathedral (I'm not sure if this is still in operation but might be nice to go and visit it has been around since 1886). The next is Notre Dame Cathedral located in Ho Chi Minh City I know this place celebrates communion Monday- Friday and Sundays. Hope that is somewhat helpful. Good Luck and can't wait to hear all about your trip and the meeting of you wonderful new child!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home