Path to our Vietnamese Sweeties

Follow us as we find the path to our children who are half way around the world. The road is unknown and undoubtedly full of curves, but God holds the map. He is who we will follow. "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

Monday, April 14, 2008

Eastin and Kyna update

It’s been a long time since I did an update on Eastin and Kyna. I’ll touch on the highlights both individually and together.

Kyna is 17 months and Eastin is 18 months old. They are both eating and drinking well. They drink either whole milk or water. I didn’t purposely introduce juice initially and now when offered they both decline. At least, I don’t have to fight that sugary battle for now. Thanks to my aunt, they’ve discovered the love of M&M’s. She’ll bring the mini packs for a treat. Watch out when they hear the package tear. Trampling can occur. It’s like a small pack of wolverines trying to double fist the tasty morsels.

I am so happy for Eastin. He is walking! He took his first independent step mid- Jan and by Feb was cruising. Triumph for my little man. Kyna always does everything first. He really had to wait for this one, too. She started walking the first of October. When he learned, he walked around for weeks with a look of pure joy plastered across his face. Eastin’s face is like an open book. His expressions can be read so easily, and since he is behind Kyna is language development this helps me to figure out what he wants to communicate. His receptive language is really good, but we have to really work on sounds. I’m not worried. I’ve been through the same thing with Ellayna. She had a small vocabulary, but amazing receptive language and then one day WHAM, she was talking up a storm.

Kyna says everyone’s names, and it seems like lately she is adding more words quickly. Her newest word, as of two days ago, is “DON’T”. Yes, it is said with that tone. Kyna is not quiet. A lot of the time, especially when we’re in the car, she very loudly and with persistent shouts, “MOM, MOM” over and over again. I really think she first of all wants my attention as in look-directly-at-me-mom in which she responds with a huge grin and secondly, wants to have a conversation. Since her vocab is limited. I’m to fill in the gaps. Problem-- driving the van and looking at her don’t mix. Which means we hear a lot of MOM screaming.

They both LOVE music. Kyna feels the music, moving her feet, rolling her neck and shoulders, tilting her head. Eastin thinks he has rhythm. It is hilarious. He sways back and forth, completely missing any beat. The appreciation is what counts, right?

Watching the two of them together is the most fun. They definitely have there own communication. It isn’t just verbal either. I’ve watched them look at one another and something pass between the two. They can start giggling and end in belly laughing just over a look. A couple of things you may see if you were here visiting us. Kyna pushing Eastin in a baby doll stroller. The TAKE or TRADE toy method. Both do this. Sometimes we take. Sometimes we offer a trade. If other sibling doesn’t accept trade, we take. This is so funny to watch, because I don’t suggest offering a trade. They do it on their own accord. If the take method happens, be prepared for intense howling. Thankfully, Kyna will return the stolen item when I request it. Unfortunately, Eastin has yet to learn this.

Yes, they do work together. Where one doesn’t succeed, two will. Two stories. I have a long narrow Amish bench pushed in front of a bank of windows. Months ago, Kyna started to climb on top and walk the plank. Back and forth, back and forth. Eastin was left on the floor, unable yet to master this new trick of sister’s. We caught Kyna bent over using both hands using all her might, trying to pull Eastin up on the bench. Matt witnessed the next story. The one thing that Eastin can do that Kyna still can’t do, is open doors. He has mastered the art of door opening if it has a pull hand Thankfully, we’re still safe with round door handles. Kyna is still 2 ½ inches shorter than Eastin. Kyna apparently wanted into the laundry/ toy storage room. She tried to get in herself. No success. Turned and grunted something to Eastin, who was deep in concentrated play across the room. Obviously, he heard and understood. He stands up, walks over, and opens the door for her.

I could write a lot more, but I’ll save it for another day. Here are their measurements. These were taken a month ago at a Well Baby visit where typically Eastin laughs, smiles, and hams it up, while Kyna clings to momma stone-faced with a few tears thrown in for an extra warning to the doc. She sits on my lap for 98% of the visit and everything has to be done slowly and cautiously. When her bottom hits the car seat, she breaks out in huge smiles in a relief that it’s over. Whereas, the doc can hug and squeeze on Eastin.

Kyna was 16 months and Eastin 17 months.

Kyna: 30 ½ inches, 21.3 pounds
Eastin: 33 inches, 23.8 pounds

6 Comments:

At 5:53 PM , Blogger Jess and Paul said...

Great update...glad to hear the kids are doing well. How fun to have 2 of them around the same age. It is so cute how connected they are.

 
At 12:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You MUST do updates like this more often! That was so much fun to read! How cool that they have such a neat psychic connection. I can't imagine how much fun it must be just to sit around and watch them! One thing was missing though: PICTURES!!!!!!

 
At 9:18 AM , Blogger jenn said...

Great Update!

Isn't it funny the things kids do? Aubrey and Chloe do similar things, the working together bit is what keeps me on my toes. It doesn't get any better so watch out!

 
At 8:45 PM , Blogger Laura said...

I love this. I enjoyed reading it so much, I went back and read it a second time! I love that they help each other out. It sounds like fun to have two so close in age. Thanks for sharing!

 
At 2:30 PM , Blogger Ann said...

Loving all the pictures in your later posts. I've loved reading all about their accomplisments. It must be so sweet seeing how they interact with eachother and the rest of the family

 
At 8:57 PM , Blogger Susan said...

Your updates are just the best. I can truly picture everything in my head as I read. I'm glad everyone is doing well. Big hugs to you, Matt, and the kids from Petunia and me!

Happy 1st Family Day tomorrow to you all! I've been thinking about you so much.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home